Thursday, January 13, 2011

Technique

I recently discovered the work of Paul Edmunds. What is interesting about his work is the use of utilic materials to create dynamic forms. This work is from his show "Subtropicalia" in 2009. 









Edmund writes "This body of work began with a short story I wrote about my childhood in Johannesburg in the 70s and 80s and the insatiable interest I had in surfing and skateboarding. I use this as a kind of template through which to view my work, which is characterised by pattern, process and the use of unconventional materials, often resulting in an interpretation which emphasizes its abstract concerns over any others. This device reveals my abiding interest in repetitive form, design, colour and material to be firmly rooted in memory and sensory experiences that I evoke in the abovementioned story. The series of sculptures, two-dimensional pieces and a video work explore waveforms, symmetry and process in a variety of media across a range of scales. All photographs by Mario Todeschini"


I am interested in the relation between the stories, the written and the tactile. As the thesis moves forward I will be working through creative written works as well as physical work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment